646 666 9601 [email protected]


If you’re in a tight financial condition, you may obtain a divorce without spending a dollar.


Divorce may be costly. Even if you intend to represent yourself in court, the court divorce costs alone may run into the hundreds of dollars. You could be asking how to obtain a divorce if you don’t have any money. If you are in a terrible financial condition, you may receive a divorce without paying any court expenses.

Indigent Divorce Fee Waiver

If you’re wondering how to file for divorce when you don’t have any money, you’ll be glad to hear that your state provides an indigent divorce or fee waiver method that allows you to apply for divorce and ask the court to waive any court costs involved with the process. This method is primarily intended to assist those with little financial resources in terminating their marriages.

Obtaining Divorce Documents

The first step in obtaining your divorce expenses waived is to get the paperwork. First, look for your local divorce or family court on the internet. You may probably download or print forms from their website. You will need to get the paperwork for filing for divorce as well as the documents for requesting a cost waiver. Check to see whether there is also an instruction manual that will walk you through the procedure.

You may also acquire the paperwork from the clerk at the courthouse. If you have any questions, they may be able to assist you in filling out the paperwork. Check to see whether you fulfil the residence requirements of your state. You cannot file in your state unless you satisfy these requirements. Fill in all of the needed information, including information on the marriage’s children, assets, debts, date of marriage, and cause for divorce. You must also specify if you are seeking child support, alimony, or the split of marital assets.

Providing Financial Evidence

To have your divorce expenses waived, you must demonstrate to the court that you are destitute, or impoverished.

You will need to provide documentation of your income (including Social Security, child support, disability, and payroll income), assets (such as bank accounts or automobiles), and debts (credit card, loans and utility bills). Tax returns may be demanded as well.

The forms will specify which papers are required by the court. The good news is that you will need to acquire this information anyway since everyone filing for divorce is required by law to make financial disclosure to the court, so this is not an added step.

Request a Fee Waiver

After you have finished all of the paperwork, you must file it. Notarization will be required for the papers. If you have a bank, you may have the paperwork notarized there, or you can ask the clerk to notarize them for you when you submit them.

Following Steps

Your documentation will be evaluated by a court staff or the judge after you submit it. A hearing may be required so that the court may interrogate you. Your fee waiver request may be granted, or the court may decide to postpone your charge, allowing you to pay it later. This is frequent if your ex has assets and intends to give you a portion of them as part of the divorce verdict or settlement.

Your case will be moved forward after the waiver is authorised. The easiest method to continue is to submit a settlement agreement or to appear in court and inform the judge what your agreement is. Another alternative is to proceed with the divorce as an uncontested proceeding, in which your ex is not required to attend. The process will be reasonably short, and you will not have to pay any costs.

Legal Aid Divorce Assistance

If you are unable to manage a do-it-yourself divorce in which you file all of the paperwork yourself, there is likely a legal aid group or a volunteer attorneys programme via your local bar association in your region. Call your local or state bar organisation for contact information, or search the internet for them. These organisations provide free (or low-cost) legal services. If you are impoverished, they will represent you for free and will complete any fee waiver paperwork on your behalf.

You don’t have to have any money to seek a divorce, but you must follow the process established by your state to have the court expenses waived. When you need to leave a marriage but don’t have the money, this might be a tremendous help.