646 666 9601 [email protected]

A trade name is a Nebraska DBA (doing business as). A Nebraska trade name registration permits a company to operate under a name other than its legal name.

DBA registration in Nebraska will not safeguard your personal assets. Forming a formal company structure, such as an LLC or corporation, can provide you with liability protection as well as a business name.

In Nebraska, you may register a trade name.

It is simple to register a Nebraska trade name, commonly known as a DBA.

A DBA is solely used for branding purposes. A DBA does not safeguard your personal assets in the event that your company is sued. As a result, we highly advise that a DBA be utilised exclusively by a formal company structure such as an LLC or corporation to add new brands to an existing firm.

If you operate an informal company (sole proprietorship or partnership), we highly advise you to create an LLC to keep your business and personal assets distinct. The name of the LLC might be chosen to serve as the business’s brand name.

Learn How to File a DBA in Nebraska in Three Easy Steps:

Begin by doing a Nebraska Trade Name Search.

Create a Nebraska DBA.

Publicize Your Nebraska DBA Notice

A DBA is solely used for branding purposes. To keep your company and personal assets distinct, we propose incorporating an LLC.

Step 1: Conduct a Nebraska Trade Name Search.

Nebraska trade names must be distinct and comply with Nebraska’s company name criteria.

To begin, go to the Nebraska Secretary of State’s Business Name Search and check to see whether your new DBA name is already in use.

Review the Nebraska naming criteria next. Trade names in Nebraska should NOT include:

Unless the company is genuinely an LLC, corporation, etc., any business entity suffix, such as LLC, Incorporated, Corp, etc.

Any phrase used to describe a financial institution, such as “bank,” “banc,” “banco,” “banque,” “banker,” “trust business,” “savings and loan association,” “savings bank,” “credit union,” or other similar names.

Any terms that indicate the firm was formed for an illegal purpose.

The phrase “geologist”

Step 2: Create a Nebraska DBA.

Your Nebraska trade name may be registered with the Secretary of State either online or by mail. You may submit electronically using the Secretary of State’s website or on paper using the Application for Registration of Trade Name.

The application requests information about your company, such as:

Applicant Type (individual, corporation, LLC, etc.)

The state in which the organisation was created (if not an individual)

Date of first use of the name in Nebraska—use “new” or “upon filing” unless this name has previously been used. Include no future dates.

The general nature of the business

A DBA does not provide legal protection for your personal assets if your company is sued. For more information on forming a limited liability corporation, go here.

Step 3: Make a Public Notice of Your Nebraska DBA.

After your trade name is registered, you must issue a legal notice in a newspaper. The notice must be published in a publication that circulates in the city or hamlet of the business’s main location. If your city or town does not have a newspaper, you may utilise a newspaper from the county in which your company is situated.

The information on the trade name notice must be precisely as specified on the application.

Questions About Managing Your Nebraska Trade Name
Call the Nebraska Secretary of State’s office at (402) 471-4079.

Renew Your Business Name with the State
Your Nebraska trade name will expire ten years after it was registered. To get a renewal form, contact (402) 471-4079. The renewal charge is $100, and you cannot do it online.

Change Your Company Name
By submitting an Application to Amend Trade Name Registration, you may update the owner’s name, address, and state of incorporation or organisation. The price is $10, and you may submit the completed form to the following address:

P.O. Box 94608 Lincoln, NE 68509 Secretary of State

Remove Your Trade Name
You may terminate your Nebraska trade name by submitting a voluntary cancellation request with the Secretary of State. For further information, call (402) 471-4079.